5 Tips To Structure Your Meals For Fat Loss

There are a gazillion diet products available today…

·      Low Calorie

·      Low Fat

·      Low Carb

·      High Protein

·      Points systems

·      Zone

·      Paleo

All of them differ in their approach, but give the same desired outcome – and that’s to help you achieve your goal body.

Today I want to show you simple tips on how to structure your meals. You can use this for fat loss, but it’s equally effective for muscle gain or sports performance.

Remember we want to maintain and build muscle. Why?

Because muscle is the main contributor to your metabolism each day. More muscle = more calories.

So anything that causes muscle tissue to decline – such as long duration cardio training or extremely low-calorie diets – means you’re destroying your chances of a high, fat-burning metabolism.

OK, so the tips…

Tip #1 – Base your meal around protein

OK so this tip is far from rocket science. You’ve no doubt heard it before and it’s not going to be news to you.

Aim for a quality source. By that, I mean if you have a choice between grass-fed beef or corn-fed beef, choose grass-fed.

If you have a choice between tinned fish, and fresh caught Atlantic Salmon, go for the quality version.

Add in a protein source with each and every meal.

Tip #2 – It’s not just about calories

I’m the first to admit that if you want to get really shredded – like Chris Hemsworth in Thor for example – you’ll need to count calories.

Photo…

But – for most dudes and dudettes, you can look great at the beach next summer by just sticking to the 80/20 rule. That is, 80% of your meals are clean and mostly unprocessed, and the remaining 20% are your “cheat” meals on the weekend.

The thing is, until you are lean (10-12% for guys, and 15-19% for da ladies) there is much more to it than just calories. Your hormones, sleep, lifestyle and food quality all play a role.

So stop obsessing over your calories, and focus on quality food choices. Here’s a starting point:

·      Turkey

·      Chicken breast

·      Seafood

·      Organic fruits (Berries are best)

·      Rice

·      Gluten-free bread

·      Eggs

·      Green veggies

·      Sweet potato

·      Potato

·      Pumpkin

·      Carrots

Stock up on these foods, and focus on qualityrather than calories.

Tip #3 – Eat Unlimited Vegetables

I wish I had some brand new, scientific supplement to recommend to you. But I don’t.

Instead, I’ve got veggies. Turns out grandma was right – veggies will help you grow up into a strong, fit superhero.

The following are on my free list, meaning you can eat them as often and as many as you like:

·      Spinach

·      Cucumber

·      Broccoli

·      Zucchini

·      Baby spinach

·      Asparagus

·      Celery

·      Bok-choy

·      Brocollini

·      Brussel Sprouts

·      Green beans

·      Snow peas

·      Capsicum

·      Onion

·      Mushrooms

·      Cabbage

·      Cauliflower

·      Carrot

·      Sprouts

·      Wheat grass

·      Lettuce

·      Squash

Tip #4 – Shop Often

You’re going to be eating a lot of perishable food – veggies, proteins, and fruit.

So make sure you hit the shops 2-3 times per week. I personally go every Saturday and Thursday, and just purchase small quantities.

This saves me throwing my good food (and my money) away if it goes uneaten.

Tip #5 – The skinny on fats

Lame title, I know. It’s the best I’ve got.

Anyway, it turns out fats aren’t the evil food group we once thought they were.

Good fats will help your body manage insulin, will fuel your brain (your brain is over 75% fat) and they taste great.

Apart from my post-workout meal, I aim for good fats with each meal. Avocadoes, almonds, salmon, egg yolk – I love my fats.

For starters, switch your cooking oil to either macadamia nut oil or coconut oil.

And then for your main meals, add in a good fat source.

Remember – fats will NOT make you fat, they will help you burn fat.

So there you have it, my tops 5 tips. Start these tips immediately. To recap:

1.    Base each meal around protein

2.    Forget calories, and focus on quality

3.    Eat unlimited green veggies

4.    Shop 2-3 times per week

5.    Don’t forget your good fats

Pete